Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Sing Off Update

I got caught up on The Sing Off tonight between Atlantic City trips.  There are five groups left as of when I am writing this; the fourth (and penultimate) episode airs tomorrow, but I probably won't be able to watch it until Sunday.   I think overall, the judges have generally made good decisions....the eliminations of Men of Note on the first episode and Eleventh Hour the second were easy choices; the other groups knocked off in the first two episodes (Pitch Slapped and the Whiffenpoofs), could have defensibly made it through, but I don't miss them.  Groove for Thought, eliminated last night, was a talented group, but they didn't really have the range to be a serious contender to win.

At this point, one group has clearly emerged as the clear favorite in my mind: Street Corner Symphony.  They have been by far the most consistent performers, and they have shown a wide range without pandering to the judges.   I haven't heard a lot of Radiohead acapella, and I thought their rendition was the highlight of last night's episode.  If this year parallels last year's vote, SCS's superior blend and arrangements will pull off the victory over pure showmanship of On the Rocks, with The Backbeats finishing third.....but I am inclined to believe this year will go a little differently and Committed will make the finals over OTR.   I almost think The Backbeats are the most likely of all to make the finals, simply because they are the last group remaining the any female members (the competition started with 6 male groups and 4 coed).

No comments:

Post a Comment